TUSCULUM COLLEGE > Institutional Advancement > SCHOLARSHIPS & ENDOWMENTS

Institutional Advancement


SCHOLARSHIPS & ENDOWMENTS

Endowed funds are part of the permanent endowment of the College. Only the interest earned each year is used for the designated purpose; the principal remains intact. Commitments totaling $10,000 or more are needed to establish a named endowed scholarship fund. An endowed professorship requires a commitment of $500,000 or more, and $1,500,000 or more is needed for an endowed chair. An endowed fund is an excellent way to perpetuate interest in Tusculum College. Unrestricted endowments give the administration and the Board of Trustees the greatest flexibility in meeting priority needs.

 

CAMPUS MINISTRY

THE HOLSTON PRESBYTERY ENDOWMENT FOR CAMPUS MINISTRY was established in 1996 through the Partners in Ministry Campaign among the 69 churches in Holston Presbytery, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), the home presbytery of Tusculum College. This endowment provides support for the campus minister and campus ministry program on the campus.

THE INDEPENDENT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, ENDOWMENT FOR CAMPUS MINISTRY was established in 1992 by a generous grant by the Church through the Bicentennial Campaign and increased in 1998 through the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign. Earnings are used to support the Campus Ministry position and program of Tusculum College.

CHAIRS AND PROFESSORSHIPS

THE FOWLER DUGGER ’19 ’19 MEMORIAL ENDOWED CHAIR OF HUMANITIES was established in 1985 by his widow, Florence Cummings Dugger of Birmingham, Alabama. Income from the endowment will be used in support of the Fowler Dugger Chair. Wess duBrisk, Associate Professor of Mass Media, holds the Chair. duBrisk has served at Tusculum College since 1984. Mr. and Mrs. Dugger, both members of the class of 1919, were active members of the Independent Presbyterian Church of Birmingham.

THE JANET ANDERSON LUNSTEDT MEMORIAL ENDOWED PROFESSORSHIP OF HUMANITIES was established in 1991 through the estate of Carl A. Lunstedt, class of 1938, of Manchester, New Hampshire, as a tribute to his wife of 36 years. Earnings from the Lunstedt Endowed Professorship will be used in support of a distinguished professor in the humanities. Dr. Donal J. Sexton, Jr., Professor of History, has held the Janet Anderson Lunstedt Profes-sorship. Dr. Sexton retired this spring after 40 years of service to the College.

THE HARRIET REAVES NEFF ’21 CHAIR OF FINE ARTS was established in 1991 by the Board of Trustees of Tusculum College in recognition of the late Harriet Reaves Neff, class of 1921, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Mrs. Neff was a Life Trustee and Benefactor of the College. Income from the endowment will be used in support of the Neff Chair of Fine Arts. Marilyn duBrisk, Artist-in-Residence and Director of Arts Outreach, holds the Chair. duBrisk has served at Tusculum College since 1991.

FACULTY DEVELOPMENT

THE CHARLES OLIVER GRAY FAMILY ENDOWMENT FUND for faculty development was established by the Gray family in 1994 in recognition of the family’s significant role in the history of the College. The Gray Family Fund will provide faculty development support with special emphasis on interaction with international faculty and students both on the Tusculum College campus and abroad. The Gray Family Fund honors the lives of service of Charles Oliver Gray and Florence Irene Rollins Gray and their children: Charles Oliver Gray, Jr., Edward Rutherford Gray ’16, and Walter Rollins Gray ’20.

THE FRANCES WADE OSTERGREN ENDOWMENT for faculty development was established in 1998 by Frances Wade Ostergren, class of 1934, of Sevierville, Tennessee. The Ostergren Fund will provide faculty development support with preference given to English faculty who promote public speaking in their classes through composition, analysis of speech and expression in delivery. Salary supplements for such teachers is a primary objective of the endowment, with secondary consideration given to supporting attendance at curricular conferences.

PEW CHARITABLE TRUSTS FACULTY DEVELOPMENT ENDOWMENT was established through the generosity of the Pew Charitable Trusts of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as part of its monies to enhance faculty salaries and academic enrichment. Tusculum College in turn, raised monies for the endowment to perpetuate this additional support of the academic program.


THE WARREN W. HOBBIE CENTER FOR THE CIVIC ARTS ENDOWMENT
was established in 1992 by the trustees of the Warren W. Hobbie Trust of Roanoke, Virginia, with a challenge grant of $500,000. The Warren W. Hobbie Center for the Civic Arts at Tusculum College is central to the College’s effort to foster the restoration of the focus on service and social responsibility by assisting Tusculum College to develop, implement, and share the Civic Arts vision of undergraduate education. The Hobbie Center is actively cultivating and promoting the arts essential to acquiring practical wisdom and enriching the common good by supporting the development of a model curriculum and sharing that model with others. In response to the challenge and in support of the Bicentennial Campaign, the following alumni and other friends have established named endowment funds for faculty development.

THE BRUCE GLENN BATTS MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by an anonymous donor as a tribute to Mr. Batts, the first director of the Warren W. Hobbie Center for the Civic Arts and professor of philosophy at Tusculum College until his death on September 7, 1992.

THE HAMILTON H. BLACKSHEAR ’44 ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by the late Hamilton H. Blackshear, class of 1944, of Satellite Beach, Florida.

THE GEORGE WASHINGTON DOUGHTY ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by the late Josephine Doughty Higgs, class of 1929, and her husband, Homer, of Sarasota, Florida, in memory of her father. The endowment is supported by other members of the family.

THE WAYNE EICHELE ’73 ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by Wayne Eichele, class of 1973, of Asbury, New Jersey, and his wife, Pamela.

THE G. ROSWELL AND JUANITA HOLDWAY EVANS ’45 ’44 ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by Mr. and Mrs. G. Roswell Evans of Maryville, Tennessee. Mr. Evans is a member of the Tusculum class of 1945.

THE FRANK M., JR. and SALLY GOODMAN GENTSCH ’61 ’62 ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by The Reverend and Mrs. Frank M. Gentsch, Jr., classes of 1961 and 1962, of Woodway, Texas.

THE CHARLES OLIVER GRAY, JR. ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Martha Erwin Rodger, class of 1932, of Roslyn Heights, New York, in memory of her favorite teacher, Professor Charles Oliver Gray, Jr., who served with distinction as professor of music at Tusculum College from 1922 to 1954.

THE JOSEPH EARNEST HACKER ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by the late Josephine Doughty Higgs, class of 1929, and her husband, Homer, of Sarasota, Florida, in memory of her grandfather.

THE JOHN C. HEAVEY, JR. ’53 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by John C. Heavey, class of 1953, of Lincroft, New Jersey.

THE SMITH HIGGINS ’43 ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by Smith Higgins, class of 1943, of Millbrae, California. The Higgins Fund is specifically dedicated to library acquisitions of materials pertaining to the Civic Arts.

THE JOSEPHINE DOUGHTY HIGGS ’29 ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by George Doughty Higgs of Boonton Township, New Jersey, in honor of his mother. The faculty development fund is designated for support of the English faculty, recognizing Mrs. Higgs’ special interest in American literature and creative writing. Mrs. Higgs was a Tusculum College graduate, class of 1929.

THE KATHRYN KIRCHMEYER HORVATH ’63 ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by Dr. and Mrs. John E. Horvath of Fairburn, Georgia. Dr. Horvath is a member of the Tusculum class of 1963.

THE ESTEL C. HURLEY MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by Edward J. Heinz, class of 1968, of Bridgewater, New Jersey, a trustee of the College.

THE HUGH O. AND ELEANOR TOM JAYNES ’52 ’51 ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by Dr. and Mrs. Hugh O. Jaynes, classes of 1952 and 1951, of Knoxville, Tennessee.

THE JOZEF KOLINSKI ’47 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Jozef Kolinski, class of 1947, of West Orange, New Jersey.

THE EDWARD J. KORMONDY ’50 ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by Edward J. Kormondy, class of 1950, of Los Angeles, California. Dr. Kormondy is a member of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees.

THE WILLIAM C. LADY ’49 ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by William C. Lady, class of 1949, of Blountville, Tennessee.

THE MASSENGILL – DEFRIECE FOUNDATION ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by a generous grant from the Massengill-DeFriece Foundation of Bristol, Tennessee.

THE CHARLES N. McCAULEY ’41 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Charles N. “Chuck” McCauley, class of 1941, of La Jolla, California.

THE WILLIAM ROSS MERCER ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by the estate of the late William Ross Mercer of Greene County, Tennessee.

THE WALTER T. MURDOCK ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 as a memorial to Professor Walter T. Murdock by his daughter, Lenore A. Murdock, class of 1941, of Ridgewood, New Jersey.

THE H. HAMMOND AND BETTY BROWN PRIDE ENDOWMENT was established in 1994 by the late H. Hammond Pride, honorary class of 1986, and Betty Brown Pride, class of 1956, Knoxville, Tennessee.

THE DAVID E. REIBER ’41 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by David E. Reiber, class of 1941, of Mount Desert, Maine.

THE JOSEPH S. AND KATHLEEN CHEEK SCHWARTZ ’59 ’58 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph S. Schwartz, classes of 1959 and 1958, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Mr. Schwartz is a member of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees.

THE CONSTANCE PARKER SINKWAY ’52 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Constance Parker Sinkway, class of 1952, of Glen Rock, New Jersey.

THE MARTHA VAUGHN SPRANKLE ENDOWMENT was established in 1993 by Mrs. Martha V. Sprankle of Knoxville, Tennessee.

THE EVELYN RANKIN THOMPSON ’30 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by the late Evelyn Rankin Thompson, class of 1930, of Nashua, New Hampshire.

THE WILLIAM O. AND BETTY JAMES VAN BLARCOM ’49 ’47 ENDOWMENT was established in 1992 by Mr. and Mrs. William O. Van Blarcom of Mountainside, New Jersey. The late Mr. Van Blarcom was a 1949 graduate of Tusculum College, and Mrs. Van Blarcom is a 1947 graduate of Tusculum College.

PROGRAM AND MAINTENANCE ENDOWMENT

THE KRESGE FOUNDATION ENDOWMENT FOR THE SPORTS CENTER In the spring of 1997, the trustees of The Kresge Foundation of Troy, Michigan, issued a challenge grant of $500,000 towards the construction and maintenance of the new sports center. In response, the following friends have established named endowments for the maintenance of the sports center and academic program support of the physical education and athletic training departments.

THE LESLIE W. AND MIRIAM BUMSTED BATEMAN ’42 ’42 ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Susan Bateman Latier, the daughter of Leslie and Miriam Bateman, both members of the class of 1942, along with her husband William C. Latier and son Jeffrey Latier, of Littleton, Colorado, in memory of the Batemans’ lifelong interest in their alma mater.

THE FRANK M. AND ROLIEN BROWN BROGDEN ’50 ’51 ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. Frank M. Brogden, classes of 1950 and 1951, of Kingsport, Tennessee.

THE SAM J. JR. AND PEGGY REEVES CALVERT ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Mr. and Mrs. Sam J. Calvert, Jr. of Greeneville, Tennessee.

THE EDDIE B. AND IMOGENE McCAMEY DOBSON ’64 ’66 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Mr. and Mrs. Eddie B. Dobson, class of 1964 and 1966, of Greeneville, Tennessee.

THE ANDREW KMETZ ’35 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Andrew Kmetz, class of 1935, of Englewood, Florida

THE EDWARD J. KORMONDY ’50 ENDOWMENT for the Sports Center was established in 1997 by Edward J. Kormondy, class of 1950, of Los Angeles, California and a trustee of the College.

THE WILLIAM C. LADY ’49 ENDOWMENT for the Sports Center was established in 1997 by William C. Lady, class of 1949, of Blountville, Tennessee.

THE LEON J. LESLIE ’51 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Nancy Hill Leslie in memory of her husband, Leon J. Leslie, class of 1951.

THE DAVID B., SR. AND MARIE WILSON LILLY ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. David B. Lilly, Sr. of Middleburg, Virginia.

THE DONALD M. MCAMIS ’39 ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Donald M. McAmis, class of 1939, of Vienna, Virginia.

THE HELEN HEINZE AND DANIEL JAMES McCOOL MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Edward L. Heinz, class of 1942, of Midlothian, Virginia, and Edward J. Heinz, class of 1968, of Bridgewater, New Jersey, and a trustee of the College, in memory of the former’s sister and brother-in-law and the latter’s aunt and uncle.

THE ROD B. MACLEOD ’62 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Rod B. MacLeod, class of 1962, of Sarasota, Florida.

THE OLD COLLEGE MAINTENANCE ENDOWMENT was established through the trust of Estelle Farley Behan, who passed away in August of 1999 at the age of 93.

THE MARK D. AND MARY SHEPHERD PATTERSON ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Dr. and Mrs. Mark D. Patterson of Greeneville, Tennessee.

THE JURGEN F. RADEMACHER ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Jurgen F. Rademacher, of Greeneville, Tennessee.

THE AUGUSTINE AND LOYCE RITZLER ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Raber, of Kingsport, Tennessee. Mr. Raber is a member of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees.

THE ROY D. AND JUDY SAUCEMAN ROBINSON ’75 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Roy D. and Judy Sauceman Robinson, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Mrs. Robinson is a 1975 graduate of Tusculum College.

THE JOHN B. SHORROCK ’67 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by John B. Shorrock, class of 1967, of Morton, Illinois.

THE CONSTANCE PARKER SINKWAY ’52 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Constance Parker Sinkway, class of 1952, and her husband, Robert, of Glen Rock, New Jersey.

THE JOAN BARBER SMITH ’51 ENDOWMENT was established in 1998 by Mr. and Mrs. Edward W. Smith of Bolton Landing, New York. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Tusculum College class of 1951 and a life trustee of the College.

THE WILLIAM O. AND BETTY JAMES VAN BLARCOM ’49 ’47 ENDOWMENT was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. William O. Van Blarcom ’49 ’47 of Mountainside, New Jersey.

THE DOROTHY HENRY AND E. VAIL WATSON ’38 ENDOWMENT was established by the late Mr. and Mrs. E. Vail Watson of Beacon, New York. Mrs. Watson was a member of the Tusculum Class of 1938.

THE H.S. WILLIAMS COMPANY, INC. ENDOWMENT was established in 1999 by the H.S. Williams Co., Inc. of Marion, Virginia.

OTHER PROGRAM ENDOWMENT

THE CHRISTINE MORGENWECK ’76 ENDOWMENT for maintenance and program support of the Byrd Chapel-Fine Arts Building was established in 1998 by Christine Morgenweck, class of 1976, of Parker, Colorado.

LIBRARY ENDOWMENTS

THE CHARLES A. ANDERSON MEMORIAL ENDOWED BOOK FUND was established in 1964 by Mrs. Gertrude S. Anderson, the widow of the late Dr. Charles A. Anderson, the 17th President of Tusculum College. Dr. Anderson was President from 1931 to 1942. Earnings from the Anderson Fund will be used to purchase books for the Library in memory of Dr. Anderson.

THE CAROL M. HEINZ ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 1995 by Edward J. Heinz, class of 1968, of Bridgewater, New Jersey, a trustee of the College, in recognition of his mother’s life-long interest in literature, education, and her community. Earnings from the Heinz Fund will be used to enhance the services of the college library.

THE MARION LOUISE HORTON MEMORIAL ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 1985 by her nephews, Doak C. Cox and Richard H. Cox, both of Honolulu, Hawaii. Miss Horton was a descendent of Samuel Doak, one of the founders of Tusculum College. The income from the Fund will be used to support improvements of the reference collection of the Tusculum College Library.

THE JAMES L. JEWELL MEMORIAL ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 1934 by Rochester Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church as a tribute to Dr. James L. Jewell who served churches in Rochester Presbytery for many years. Earnings from the Jewell Fund will be used to support the Tusculum College Library.

THE DR. PAUL J. KELLER ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 1985 by Mrs. Marian E. Keller of Brewster, Massachusetts, in memory of her husband. Dr. Keller was a beloved Professor of Philosophy and Religion at Tusculum College from 1960-1969. Earnings from the Fund will be used to support the Tusculum College Library.

THE BRENDA HARRIS KNOTT RARE BOOKS ENDOWED FUND was established in 1994 by Charles D. Fox III of Roanoke, Virginia and Maui, Hawaii, in honor of Brenda Harris Knott, wife of Robert E. Knott, the 25th president of the College, and as a tribute to his wife, Preston Wescoat Fox. Income from the Knott Fund will be used to preserve the rare books collection of the College.

THE ELIZA JANE VANDER POEL MOORE MEMORIAL ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 1934 by the estate of the late Mr. George G. Moore of New York, New York, in memory of his mother. Earnings from the fund will be used to support the Tusculum College Library.

THE MORGAN OLCOTT, JR. MEMORIAL ENDOWED LIBRARY FUND was established in 2003 by Mrs. Jean Oakes Olcott of Midland Park, New Jersey, in memory of her husband. Mrs. Olcott is a member of the Tusculum College class of 1952. Priority will be given to the support of the collections and technology needs of the library.

THE JOHN E. AND MARY POITEVENT REDWINE MEMORIAL LIBRARY ENDOWED FUND was established in 1998 by the John and Mary P. Redwine Charitable Trust. Income from the endowment will be used to add to the library holdings.

THE H. SHERMAN WING ’46 MEMORIAL LIBRARY ENDOWED FUND was established in 1977 by the estate of Charlotte S. Wing of Poughkeepsie, New York. Mrs. Wing established the fund as a memorial to her son, Sherman, who was a graduate of Tusculum College, class of 1946. Earnings from the Wing Fund will be used to purchase books in the fields of Religion, Sociology, and Psychology.

UNRESTRICTED ENDOWMENTS

THE JAMES E. AND VIRGIE HILL BACON ’32 ENDOWMENT was established in 1989 by Mr. and Mrs. James E. Bacon of Fullerton, California. Mrs. Bacon, the former Virgie Hill of Dandridge, Tennessee, is a member of the class of 1932. A career public school teacher, she taught for 18 years in the schools of Jefferson County, Tennessee, and 25 years in the schools of Orange County, California, where she also served as teaching Assistant Principal. The late Mr. Bacon, a native of Orange County, California, was an avocado grower and an expert in that field. He developed two varieties which bear his name. Following Mr. Bacon’s death, Mrs. Bacon returned to her native Dandridge in 1998.

THE IRENE V. CRUM ’28 MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT was established in 2000 in memory of the late Irene V. Crum, class of 1928 of Daytona Beach, Florida. While at Tusculum College, Miss Crum, a native of Greene County, studied under Dr. Landon “Daddy” Haynes. She began her teaching career at Doak High School, and after sixteen years joined the faculty of Greeneville High School for two years. In 1946 she moved to Daytona Beach where she specialized in geometry at Mainland High School. She retired in 1972 after twenty-six years at Mainland and forty-four year as a public school teacher.

THE HESTER PROCTOR GEHRM ENDOWMENT was established in 1999 by John A. Gehrm II, class of 1966, in honor of his wife. Mr. Gehrm is a former Vice President for External Relations at the College.

THE JOHN G. KERBAUGH ENDOWMENT was established in 1987 through the estate of the late John G. Kerbaugh of Greeneville, Tennessee. The Fund was established in memory of John and Margaret Todd Kerbaugh. Mrs. Kerbaugh was a 1956 alumna of Tusculum College.

THE ROBERT L. WHITE ’32 MEMORIAL ENDOWMENT was established in 2000 in memory of the late Robert L. White of Seminole, Florida. Mr. White was a 1932 graduate of Tusculum College.

RELIGIOUS STUDIES ENDOWMENTS

THE BIBLE CHAIR ENDOWMENT was established in 1926 by alumni, trustees, and other friends of the College. Income from the endowment will be used to support the Department of Religion at Tusculum College.

THE JOHN C. MARTIN ENDOWMENT was established by the Martin Bible Chair Trust Fund of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Tusculum College and several other Presbyterian-related institutions benefit from the Martin Fund. Income from the Martin Fund will be used to support the Religion Department of Tusculum College.

THE MARY D. SYNNOTT ENDOWMENT was established in 1925 by the Synnott Bible Chair Trust Fund of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Tusculum and several other Presbyterian-related institutions benefit from the Fund. Income from the Synnott Fund will be used to support the Religion Department of Tusculum College.

SCHOLARSHIPS

THE GEORGE I. ALDEN TRUST ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1988 by the George I. Alden Trust of Worcester, Massachusetts, in response to the challenge issued by the Endowment Grant Program of the U. S. Department of Education. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the Northeast.

THE LOUISE RAMSEY ALEXANDER ’29 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 through the estate of the late Louise Ramsey Alexander, class of 1929, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County and to those planning to enter a career in teaching.

THE CHARLES W. ALLEN AND JAMES M. MOREY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1926 by Mrs. Charles W. Allen as a memorial to her husband and friend. Mr. Allen and Mr. Morey served as officers of the Board of Trustees of Tusculum College.

THE ROBERT S. ALLERTON ’42 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1984 in memory of Mr. Robert S. Allerton, class of 1942, of Newark, New Jersey, by the late Leslie W. and Miriam Bumsted Bateman, both of the class of 1942, of Manasquan, New Jersey, and supported by his sister, Katejean Allerton Borneman, class of 1942, of Coos Bay, Oregon. Scholarship preference will be given to student-athletes from New York State.

THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 by alumni of Tusculum College as a means of perpetuating their interest in and support of their alma mater. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE ARTHUR AND FLORENCE ARGAUER ’30 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1985 by the late Dr. and Mrs. Arthur Argauer of Paramus, New Jersey. Dr. Argauer, class of 1930, served as a Tusculum College admissions representative. Scholarship preference will be given to student-athletes from New Jersey and then to other able and deserving students from the state.

THE BANK OF AMERICA/GREENEVILLE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 by the Bank of America/Greeneville in recognition of Tusculum College’s role in the region. Scholarship preference will be given to dependents of Bank of America/Greeneville employees, and then to other able and deserving students from the local area.

THE CLYDE B. AUSTIN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1990 by the trustees of the Clyde B. Austin Scholarship Trust, which was established in 1967 by an anonymous friend to honor the late Clyde B. Austin, cofounder of The Austin Company. Scholarship preference will be awarded on the basis of the following order: children of employees of The Austin Company and its family group of companies; students from Greene County; students from families engaged in tobacco farming; and students from the tobacco growing areas of the United States.

THE MARGARET JOHNSON PATTERSON BARTLETT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by Mrs. Margaret Johnson Patterson Bartlett, the great granddaughter of Andrew Johnson, the 17th President of the United States. Mrs. Bartlett was a 1924 graduate of Tusculum College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County.

THE LESLIE W. AND MIRIAM BUMSTED BATEMAN ’42 ’42 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1988 by the late Mr. & Mrs. Leslie W. Bateman, both members of the class of 1942, of Manasquan, New Jersey, in recognition of their lifelong interest in their alma mater. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the Northeast.

THE W. C. “CHARLIE” BAXLEY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Daniel J. Olmstead, Jr., class of 1960, of San Jose, California, in memory of his father-in-law. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greene County.

THE A. T. AND LORENE BAYLESS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND, in memory of Sarah Arnold Bayless, was established in 1984 by Dr. and Mrs. A. T. Bayless of Morristown, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from Hamblen County.

THE JUDITH BISHOP BOSWELL ’56 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1994 by friends, family and fellow classmates as a tribute to Judith Bishop Boswell, class of 1956. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have expressed an interest in cheerleading and other related campus spirit activities.

THE RAY L. BOWMAN ’42 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2000 by Ken and Jo Ellen Bowman to provide support to deserving local young people who otherwise could not attend Tusculum. Ray Bowman was a member of the class of 1942 at the College. Ken Bowman, class of 1970, is a member of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees.

THE BOARD OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1966 by the Board of Christian Education of the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, one of the predecessor churches to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Scholarship preference is awarded on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE LUCILE WILSON BUNTROCK MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1995 by Terry Emory Buntrock as a tribute to her late mother-in-law. Scholarship preference will be give to able and deserving female students majoring in physical education.

THE EDNA ZIRKLE CARDWELL ’24 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1990 by the family and friends of the late Edna Zirkle Cardwell, class of 1924, of Kingston, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are interested in music.

THE MARJORIE NELLE HYDER CARDWELL ’48 H ’87 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1994 by Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Cardwell of Elizabethton, Tennessee, in recognition of their lifelong interest in service to others. Mrs. Cardwell is a 1948 graduate of Tusculum College and received an honorary doctorate from Tusculum College in 1987. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who either work at Greene Valley Developmental Center or whose parents work at the center or students participating in activities of the Tusculum College Institute for Public Leadership and Policy.

THE ESSIE KISER CARTER ’28 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND, in memory of Mr. and Mrs. William Lee Kiser II of Greeneville, Tennessee, was established in 1976 through the generosity of three Kiser daughters who attended Tusculum College: the late Essie Kiser Carter, class of 1928, of Greeneville, Tennessee; the late Ada Kiser Moreland, class of 1921, of Tulsa, Oklahoma; and the late Maude Kiser Barber, class of 1926, of Florence, Kentucky. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the local area.

THE DIXON CATHRALL ’77 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1988 in memory of the late Dixon A. Cathrall, class of 1977, by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John M. Cathrall of Stratford, New Jersey. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have financial need.

THE GODFREY CHOBOT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1952 in memory of Dr. Godfrey Chobot, longtime minister of the Sixth Presbyterian Church of Washington, D.C. The Fund was established through the will of his daughter, Pauline W. Chobot, of Washington, D.C. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE H. C. AND W. W. CLARK ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1898 by the Reverend H. A. Clark, of Kingston, Tennessee, in honor of his parents. Scholarship preference will be given to students preparing for the ministry in the Presbyterian Church.

THE WILLIAM E. CLARK MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by Dr. and Mrs. Charles F. Betts, Jr. and children of Decatur, Alabama. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are considering a career of full-time service to the church.

THE CLASS OF 1932 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by members of the class of 1932 at their 50th anniversary reunion in 1982. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE CARRIE McGAUGHEY CLEMENS MEMORIAL DAR SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1951 by the Nolachuckey Chapter of Greeneville, Tennessee, of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The chapter selects a deserving Greene County student recipient each year. Scholarship preference is given to a deserving Greene County female.

THE CLEMENTS-MAYS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 through the Bicentennial Campaign by John E. and Nancy Clements Mays, of Blairsville, Georgia, in honor of her mother, Marjorie Martin Clements of Greeneville, Tennessee, and in memory of her father, W. Wiley Clements, and his parents, James Ernest and Gladys Elder Mays. Mr. Mays served as Vice President for External Relations from 1989 to 1999. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students in the fields of business and education in recognition of the careers of the Clements and Mays.

THE JEROME KILMAN CLEMENTS MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1921 by Mr. and Mrs. Howell H. Clements, of Knoxville, Tennessee, in memory of their son. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from Knox County.

THE ROBERT S., JR. AND MARY ELLEN RANKIN COWLES MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 in memory of Dr. Robert Sebastian Cowles, Jr., class of 1946, by the Greene County Medical Society. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student with financial need who will be a sophomore, junior, or senior.

THE JAKE AND GLADYS CRAWFORD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1980 by Gladys C. Crawford in honor of her late husband. Annual income of the fund will be used to aid deserving students.

THE CECIL RAY AND MARY KATHERINE CRUM ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by their daughter, Susan D. Crum ’91, as a means to provide opportunities for willing and able students.  Having lived in the South Greene most of their lives, Cecil and Mary Katherine were supportive and actively involved with South Greene High School.  Cecil was public address announcer for the basketball and football teams for a number of years.  He and Mary Katherine were also active members of the athletic boosters and volunteered a lot of their time to the school.  Scholarship preference will be given to South Greene High School graduates at Tusculum College who are in good academic standing and have the greatest financial need.  Should there not be an eligible recipient from South Greene High School, then graduate(s) from a Greene County high school should receive consideration.

THE WILLIAM LISTON DAVIS ’30 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 by Reba Davis Williams, of Newport, Tennessee, in memory of her brother William Liston Davis, class of 1930. Scholarship preference will be given to students majoring in education, the social sciences, or the natural sciences, first from Cocke County and then from Upper East Tennessee.

THE LAMAR COWAN DEMPSTER ’48 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Lamar Cowan Dempster, class of 1948, of Knoxville, Tennessee, and her husband Thomas C. Dempster. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE HAROLD M. DETRICK MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by members of the family: wife, Ruth Skinner Detrick, of Greeneville, Tennessee; and children: Jerry and Sharon Detrick of Maryville, Tennessee; Harrison and Connie Detrick Lamons, of Greeneville; and Tate and Janet Detrick Robertson, of Cherryville, North Carolina. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE WALTER T. DETTE, JR. ’31 MEMORIAL ATHLETIC ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1989 by his widow, the late Mrs. Marguerite Brumley Dette, class of 1931, a Life Trustee of the College, and friends, as a lasting memorial. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from New Jersey and Tennessee who play a varsity sport.

THE SAMUEL A. DOAK ’16 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1966 by alumni of Tusculum College to honor the late Samuel A. Doak, class of 1916. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who play a varsity sport at Tusculum College.

THE MARGARET DUGGER ’30 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Dr. Robert H. Bailey, of Baileyton, Tennessee, class of 1948, in memory of Margaret Dugger, class of 1930, and in recognition of her devoted service as a faculty member and later as a member of the Board of Trustees of the College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE DEWEY R. AND BETTY F. DYER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Dewey R. and Betty F. Dyer in November 2010.  Mr. Dyer retired in 1979 from Nabisco where he worked for 33 years.  He and his wife Betty were married in 1955.  Mr. Dyer was an avid golf player and has won 11 championships.  Mrs. Dyer retired from Magnavox where she worked for 31 years.  The purpose of the Dewey R. and Betty F. Dyer Endowed Scholarship Fund is to provide scholarships for able and deserving students with financial need who attend Tusculum College.

THE EUGENE E. EASTERLY ’21 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by the late Eugene E. Easterly, class of 1921, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE WAYNE EICHELE ’73 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1993 by Wayne Eichele, class of 1973, of Asbury, New Jersey, and his wife, Pamela. Scholarship preference will be given to deserving students with financial need in the field of education.

THE HOWARD S. EMERICK II ’72 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Howard S. Emerick II, class of 1972, of Jacksonville, Florida, in response to the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are majoring in the sciences.

THE ETHEL K. EVANS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1921 by the International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons of New York, New York. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE JOHN W. FAULDS ’32 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1970 by Mr. and Mrs. John W. Faulds, of Morristown, Tennessee. The late Mr. Faulds was a member of the Tusculum class of 1932. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Hamblen County who show evidence of strong moral determination, high integrity, and ambition.

THE JAY S. AND DOROTHY T. FARLEY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Jeanne and Mark Stokes in memory of Jeanne’s parents, Jay and Dorothy Farley.  Mr. Farley was a native of High Bridge, New Jersey.  He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.  Following his military service, he entered the workforce, eventually retiring from AT&T.  Dorothy Tampier Farley was born in Bronx, New York.  Mrs. Farley earned her undergraduate degree from Trenton State University and her master’s degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University.  The Farleys were married for 50 years and were the parents of three children.  They were longtime members of Pluckemin Presbyterian Church.  The purpose of the Jay S. and Dorothy T. Farley Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund is to provide scholarships for low-income, first generation college students who are participating in the U.S. Department of Education Federal TRIO Programs.

THE J. EDWARD AND MARY DRAKE FLOURNOY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 through the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign by Mr. and Mrs. J. Edward Flournoy, of Manassas, Virginia. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have substantial financial need.

THE LLEWELYN M. FOX ’16 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2001 by the Mary G.K. Fox Foundation. Mr. Fox was a 1916 graduate of Tusculum College and was a charter member of the College’s Sports Hall of Fame. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County who demonstrate leadership, scholarship, citizenship, and sportsmanship.

THE MARY GERTRUDE FOX MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2001 by the Mary G.K. Fox Foundation. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County who demonstrate leadership, scholarship, citizenship, and sportsmanship.

THE KIMBERLY ROSE GAESS MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by Anthony D. Gaess, class of 1963, and his wife, Judie, of Montvale, New Jersey, in loving memory of their daughter. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from New Jersey majoring in business.

THE ELSIE GASS MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1981 by the late Mr. Robert A. Gass, class of 1928, of Maryville, Tennessee in memory of his aunt, Miss Elsie Gass, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the local area who have financial need.

THE ROBERT H. GELDER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 by his widow, the late Mary Zirkle Gelder, class of 1928, of Sidney, New York. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to other science majors.

THE GERHARDT ENDOWED MUSEUM SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1995 by Mr. and Mrs. E. Alvin Gerhardt, Jr. of Jonesborough, Tennessee, in memory of Mr. Gerhardt’s parents, Earl A. and Georgia B. Gerhardt. Scholarship preference will be given to juniors and seniors majoring in museum studies. The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement (grade point average of 2.5 or better) and leadership ability.

THE GRAHAM MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1847 by Mr. William Graham of Tazewell, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to students preparing for ministry in the Presbyterian Church.

THE CHARLES OLIVER GRAY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1977 by the late T. Moody Dunbar, class of 1930, of Limestone, Tennessee, and supported by other alumni of Tusculum College. Scholarship preference will be given on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE JUDGE WALTER R. GRAY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by his widow, the late Mrs. Margaret Ketchin Gray, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Northeast Tennessee who have financial need.

MR. AND MRS. E. L. GREGG MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1975 by their grandchildren, Hilton and Florrie Gregg Byrd of Dallas, Texas. Captain and Mrs. E. L. Gregg lived in Rusk, Texas. Captain Gregg, a lawyer and banker, was the founder of The Gregg Insurance Company. He attended Tusculum College prior to the Civil War. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have substantial financial need.

THE KALMAN SCOTT AND ETHEL GRADDON HAITINGER ’30 ’31 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1989 by Ethel Graddon Haitinger, class of 1931, of Newport, Tennessee, in recognition of her husband’s career in medicine and to perpetuate their lifelong interest in their alma mater. Dr. Haitinger was a 1930 graduate of Tusculum College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students majoring in the sciences and students from upper East Tennessee.

THE GREENE COUNTY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2001 by an anonymous donor. Scholarship preference will be given to students from Greene County.

THE EDWARD L. HEINZ ’42 ATHLETIC ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 by Edward J. Heinz, Class of 1968 and a former Trustee of the College; Clifford B. Heinz; Deborah C. Maxwell; Craig D. Heinz; and Gretchen L. Heinz, on the occasion of their father’s 50th reunion and in recognition of his lifelong interest in his Alma Mater, athletics, and his community. Edward L. Heinz was a 1942 graduate of Tusculum College. Scholarship preference will be given to student-athletes, first from New Jersey or Virginia, on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE EDWARD J. HEINZ ’68 ENDOWED LIFE SCIENCE SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 by Carol M. Heinz, widow and executrix of the estate of Edward L. Heinz, class of 1942, in honor of their son Ted, class of 1968, who is a guarantor of the College and who served on the Board of Trustees from 1992 to 2006. Ted is a recipient of the Pioneer Award, as was his father who was also a charter member of the Tusculum College Sports Hall of Fame and the Heritage Club. Both father and son were Men of Rankin. Proceeds of the fund will be used to support students majoring in the life sciences, with preference for those seeking to become healthcare professionals.

THE JOHN A. AND YOLANDA HENNESSEN ’45 SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by John A. “Jack” and Yolanda Hennessen for the purpose of providing scholarships to academically deserving students entering the sciences, with preference given to pre-medical students. Dr. Hennessen is a 1945 graduate of Tusculum College.

THE MR. AND MRS. RICHARD J. HICKEY ’58 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph L. Stallard ’56 in September 2009, in memory of their dear friends, Richard and Marie Hickey.  Richard Hickey, born and lifelong resident of Trenton, New Jersey, was a 1951 graduate of Trenton Catholic  and 1958 graduate of Tusculum College.  He was an administrator for the State of New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services within the Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled Program, where he retired in 1992 after 33 years of service.  He was a veteran of the U.S. Marines serving during the Korean War.  While attending Tusculum College, Richard was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame, on May 17, 1982, for earning four letters in basketball, one letter in tennis, three letters in baseball and four letters in track.  He was captain of the men’s basketball team in 1957, captain of the baseball team in 1958 and captain of the track team in 1957 and 1958.  Richard was also a member of the 1956 Smoky Mountain Conference Basketball Championship Team and holds the record in Javelin Throw set in 1956.  The purpose of the Mr. and Mrs. Richard Hickey ’58 Memorial Endowed Scholarship Fund is to provide scholarships for able and deserving students who are student-athletes at Tusculum College.

THE SAMUEL E. HILLES ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1934 through the estate of Mina Colburn Hilles of Orlando, Florida, in memory of her husband. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have financial need.

THE GEORGE T. AND DOROTHY RAMSEY HUBBARD ’32 ’32 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 in honor of the Reverend and Mrs. George T. Hubbard of McMinnville, Tennessee, on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary. The Rev. and Mrs. Hubbard were both members of the class of 1932. The Fund was established by their children: George T. Hubbard, Jr., class of 1964, of Gaithersburg, Maryland; Sarah Hubbard Dixon; and Harriet Hubbard Gerren. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who have financial need.

THE LIONEL N. HUMPHREYS, SR. MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by Mr. Lionel N. Humphreys, Jr., of Greeneville, in memory of his father. Scholarship preference will be given to sons and daughters of employees of Quality Foods, Inc. (K-VA-T) and its affiliates with secondary consideration to families living within the trade area of Quality Foods.

THE SAMUEL GEAN ISENBERG ’32 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 by the Three B Partners, a partnership of the Ray Bible family which includes Ray and Barbara Bible, Gean Ann Bible Sing, Katherine Bible Moore and Samuel Edward Bible. Mr. Isenberg was a member of the Tusculum College class of 1932. Scholarship preference for the two scholarships will be given first to students from Sevier County, second from Hamblen County, third from Cocke County, and then the rest of East Tennessee.

THE MORRIS E. AND FREDA HILLSON KATZ ’37 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 with gifts and a generous estate commitment by Dr. Morris E. Katz, class of 1937, of Sarasota, Florida, in memory of his wife. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to students with other science majors.

THE HERMAN C. KENNEDY ’29 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1974 by alumni at Tusculum College as a means of perpetuating their interest in and support of their alma mater. The effort was conceived and partially funded by a challenge from the late Mr. Kennedy, class of 1929. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE JOZEF KOLINSKI ’47 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by Jozef Kolinski, class of 1947, of West Orange, New Jersey, in response to the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical majors and then to other science majors.

THE KORMONDY-HEDRICK SCHOLARSHIP IN THE LIFE SCIENCES ENDOWED FUND is named in honor of Frances and Anthony Kormondy and Beatrice and Robert Hedrick, parents respectively of Edward John Kormondy ’50, H’97, and Peggy Hedrick Kormondy ’50, both of whom majored in Biology at Tusculum.  Depending on the availability of funds, it is to be awarded yearly to one or more rising juniors who are majoring in one of the Life Sciences and have a strong interest in pursuing advanced degrees in that field.

THE FRANCES COMERFORD LADY ’48 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 by William C. Lady, class of 1949, of Blountville, Tennessee, in memory of his wife, Frances Comerford Lady, class of 1948. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE LANTERI FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by Dr. Vincent J. Lanteri, class of 1970, and his wife, Susan. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to other science majors.

THE ROBERT A. LAPSLEY ’66 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Robert A. Lapsley, class of 1966, and his wife, Diane, of Savannah, Georgia, in response to the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Georgia.

THE RALPH AND JEWELL SMITH LINFOOT ’30 SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1976 by Jewell Smith Linfoot, class of 1930, in memory of her husband Ralph. Scholarship preference is given to able and deserving students from East Tennessee.

THE JILL LUCAS ’02 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2001 by family and friends in memory of Christina Jill Lucas, class of 2002, of Gaston, Indiana. Scholarship preference will be given to members of the Tusculum College Volleyball Team.

THE GIRARD MALMAR ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1951 by Helen Malmar Dresser, class of 1916, of Albany, New York, in memory of her brother. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student-athlete who exhibits the finest spirit of sportsmanship on the athletic field.

THE HORACE C. MARTIN ’31 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1986 by Dr. Horace C. “Whitey” Martin, class of 1931, of Winona, Mississippi. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from East Tennessee or from the French Camp Academy, French Camp, Mississippi.

THE C. SHAWN MAUK ’98 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes of Tusculum College, friends, and family in memory of C. Shawn Mauk, class of 1998. Scholarship preference will be given to male elementary education majors and then to all education majors.

THE DOROTHY HARDIN MAYO ’40 ENDOWED MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1993 in loving memory of Professor Charles Oliver Gray, Jr. and in honor of Dorothy Hardin Mayo, class of 1940, by her husband, C. Douglas Mayo. Scholarship preference will be given to students majoring in music and to those from Greene County.

THE AGNES WEST McAMIS ’41 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 through the estate of the late Agnes West McAmis, class of 1941, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to members of the women’s golf team and then to other female athletes.

THE JAMES W. AND MACY JAYNES McAMIS ’32 ’31 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1995 by the estate of James W. McAmis to assist able and deserving students with their educational pursuits at Tusculum College. Mr. McAmis was a member of the class of 1932, and Mrs. McAmis, the class of 1931. Scholarship preference will be given to members of the McAmis and Jaynes families and then to other able and deserving students.

THE JUDGE LUKE M. McAMIS AND H.C. McAMIS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 by Dr. Robert H. Bailey, of Baileyton, Tennessee, class of 1948, and friends and associates to honor Judge McAmis, class of 1924, of Kingsport, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Sullivan County on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE PHYLLIS W. McCAULEY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1985 by Commander Charles M. McCauley, USN (Ret.), class of 1941, of La Jolla, California, in memory of his wife. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students majoring in the sciences.

THE TERESA BAILEY McINTYRE ’77 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by Dr. Robert H. Bailey, of Baileyton, Tennessee, class of 1948, in memory of his niece, Teresa Bailey McIntyre, Tusculum class of 1977. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE RALPH N. AND PEGGY McKNIGHT ’52 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by Ralph N. McKnight, class of 1952, of Easley, South Carolina, and his wife, Peggy, in loving memory of his daughter Virginia McKnight Moore (1952-1994). Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership potential and financial need.

THE PATSY KREEGER MENKENS ’58 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2004 by the Reverend Dr. R. Carl Menkens, class of 1958, in memory of his wife, Patsy Kreeger Menkens, also of the class of 1958. The scholarship will be awarded annually with preference, in priority order, to students who provide musical accompaniment for religious inspiration, such as during the weekly worship service; are interested in a career in church music; and/or are involved in the worship services in other meaningful ways.

THE KATHERINE VAN BUSKIRK MEREDITH ’71 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2010 by her husband, Marwood B. Meredith, Jr. ’71 and daughters: Katherine T. Kreider, of Greenville, North Carolina; Blair L. Patterson of Aledo, Texas; and Brittany A. M. Pauley of Houston, Texas.  Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with preference given to those majoring in Art and Design with Concentrations in Graphic Design and Studio Art.

THE ELVA SHIPLEY MEYER ’28 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by the estate of the late Elva Shipley Meyer, class of 1928, of Scottsdale, Arizona, and her husband, Roland. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need.

THE JOHN FITZHUGH MITCHELL MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 in memory of John Fitzhugh Mitchell, of Mechanicsville, Virginia, by his son, the Reverend Dr. John G. Mitchell. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE BELLE R. MOORE MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1949 by the Ladies Aid Society of the Mount Bethel Presbyterian Church. The Mount Bethel Church became the Covenant Presbyterian Church in 1959, and merged with the First Presbyterian Church of Greeneville in 1990. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from the local area.

THE MORRISTOWN COCA-COLA ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Coca-Cola, of Morristown, Tennessee. Preference will be given to students from northeast Tennessee.

THE ALICE LARUE AND MARKLEY MURRAY ’35 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 by Alice LaRue Murray, class of 1935, of Greeneville, Tennessee, her husband, Raymond Markley Murray, members of their family, and interested friends. Scholarship preference will be given to students from the high schools in Greene County on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need. The scholarship will follow students throughout their matriculation at Tusculum College, provided academic standards are maintained.

THE FRANCIS J. NANARONE ’52 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Francis J. Nanarone, class of 1952, of Bloomfield, New Jersey. Mr. Nanarone was named a Benefactor of the College in 2003 having made gifts in excess of $1 million. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students based on academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE HARRIET REAVES NEFF ’21 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by Mrs. Harriet Reaves Neff, class of 1921, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Mrs. Neff was the third Benefactor of the College and life trustee of her alma mater. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE HARRIET REAVES NEFF ’21 TENNIS ENDOWED TENNIS SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1984 by Harriet Reaves Neff, class of 1921, of Greeneville. Mrs. Neff was the third Benefactor of the College and life trustee of her alma mater. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with an interest in tennis.

THE CHARLOTTE W. NEWCOMBE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1988 by the Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation of Princeton, New Jersey, in memory of Mrs. Charlotte Wilson Newcombe. Scholarship preference will be given to economically disadvantaged and/or minority students.

THE ROGER M. NICHOLS ’50 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1994 by the estate of Dr. Roger M. Nichols, class of 1950, of Tallahassee, Florida, and from memorial gifts from family and friends. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who play tennis or who have an interest in careers in education or public service.

THE RUSSELL L. NICHOLS ENDOWMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDY SCHOLARSHIP was established by Trustees, faculty and staff members of Tusculum College, as well as alumni and friends of the College in appreciation for Dr. Nichols’ services to the College as interim President from August 2007 to May 2009.  The fund will forever commemorate Dr. Nichols’ vision and passion to enhance the international travel and studies program by providing Tusculum students, faculty and staff with international opportunities and experiences.  The ultimate purpose of The Russell L. Nichols Endowment for International Study Fund is to encourage and support international study and mission experiences for students, with an emphasis on first-time travelers.  However, it is understood that such student experiences require advance preparations and travel by faculty and staff who mentor and lead the students during their travels; support of those faculty preparations is a worthy use of the endowment.  The priorities of student, faculty, and staff needs will change regularly, as will the priorities of the variety of trips, from short-term class trips to semester long individual study, for example.  Priority will be given to academic ventures over mission trips of service, but both experiences are worthy of support from the endowment as the College leadership judges from time to time.

THE FREDERIC D. AND JESSIE C. OGDEN ’38 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1995 by Dr. and Mrs. Frederic D. Ogden, of Lexington, Kentucky. Dr. Ogden is a graduate of Tusculum College, class of 1938. Scholarship preference will be given to a junior or senior student who is pursuing a social studies concentration: currently, history, political science, or pre-law. The Ogden Scholar should have financial need and carry a minimum grade point average of 3.00.

THE PROFESSOR CURTIS AND BILLIE BELCHER OWENS ’28 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1995 by Professor Curtis Owens, class of 1928, and his wife, Billie, of Richmond Hill, New York. Scholarship preference will be given to students who have ability in creative writing – poetry, short stories, essays and drama. The Owens Scholarship is awarded on the basis of a writing competition.

THE NANCY AND FRED H. PARVIN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 by Mrs. Nancy Parvin of Greeneville, Tennessee, in memory of her husband, Fred Parvin. Mrs. Parvin is a former trustee of the College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greene County on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE LOLA G. PENDLETON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1991 by the estate of the late Lola G. Pendleton, of Kingsport, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from East Tennessee on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE STELLA LAWING PERCY ’30 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established through the estate of the late Stella Lawing Percy, class of 1930, of Johnson City and Elizabethton, Tennessee. Scholarship preferences will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County.

THE L. H. PHETTEPLACE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1949 by Louis Henry Phetteplace of Erwin, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from Unicoi County.

THE WILLIAM AND JANE SHANKS PILLONI ’60 ’59 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Mr. and Mrs. William Pilloni of Greeneville, Tennessee. Mr. Pilloni, class of 1960, is a member of the Board of Trustees of Tusculum College. Mrs. Pilloni is a 1959 graduate of the College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need.

THE JAMES TERRELL PUTNEY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 as a memorial to James T. “Buck” Putney by Dr. Robert H. Bailey, class of 1948, of Baileyton, Tennessee, and supported by his parents, James T. and Joyce L. Putney, of Alachua, Florida. Dr. Bailey is a former Chairman of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees and received an honorary degree from the College in 1984. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE JAMES H. QUILLEN AND CECILE C. QUILLEN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2003 through the estate of Retired Congressman James H. Quillen of Kingsport, Tennessee, who is remembered for his record 34 years of continuous service as a Tennessee member of the U.S. House of Representatives. Scholarship funds will be awarded to deserving students, with preference given to students living within the First Congressional District in Tennessee.

THE RANKIN FAMILY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by members of the Thomas Samuel Rankin Family. The Rankin Fund is in honor of and a living tribute to Dr. Thomas Samuel Rankin, class of 1885, and his wife Mary Isabel Coile Rankin, class of 1888, and children: Elma Lillian Rankin Beeson, class of 1908, and Donald Richard Beeson; Marguerite Elizabeth Rankin, class of 1910; Dr. Raymond Coile Rankin, class of 1914, and Katherine Peyton Rankin; Dr. Lynn McGaughey Rankin, class of 1917, and Lillian States Rankin; Dr. Robert Stanley Rankin, class of 1920 H’58, and Dorothy Newsom Rankin; Julian Howell Rankin; Evelyn Rankin Thompson, class of 1930, and William N. Thompson. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE DOUG RATLEDGE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2005 by the Greeneville Junior Woman’s Club in honor of Doug Ratledge, long-time director of the Cedar Creek Learning Center. Scholarship preference will be given to environmental science or field guide naturalist majors who are sophomores or above and recommended by a faculty member, academic achievement, and financial need.

THE DAVID E. REIBER ’41ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by David E. Reiber, class of 1941, of Mount Desert, Maine. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to students majoring in the sciences.

THE BERTHOLD OLEN AND VIVIAN COBBLE RIPLEY ’42 ’44 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by their children and grandchildren on the occasion of Mr. Ripley’s 80th birthday. Mr. Ripley is a member of the class of 1942, and Mrs. Ripley is a member of the class of 1944. Business and civic leaders in Kingsport, Tennessee, the Ripleys are long-time supporters of their alma mater. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need.

THE LOYCE MAE RITZLER AND AUGUST EUGENE RITZLER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. Donald R. Raber, of Kingsport, Tennessee, in honor of Mrs. Raber’s mother. Mr. Raber is a member of the Tusculum College Board of Trustees. Scholarship preference will be given first to students of the arts and then to management students, in recognition of Mrs. Ritzler’s love of painting and success in business.

THE ROARK FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Delores and Andrew Still in honor and memory of the Roark Family as a means to provide opportunities for willing and able student(s) who do not have the financial resources to attend Tusculum College.  Preference will be given to students from Sullivan County, Tennessee and Washington County, Virginia.  Andrew Still is a 1961 graduate of Tusculum College, and with his wife, Delores Ann Roark Still, establishes this scholarship in memory of members of Delores’ family including: Beulah Castle Cassell Roark, beloved mother of Delores, who loved her family, kept a warm and welcoming home and sacrificed continuously for the benefit of her children; Rondy Glen Roark, father of Delores, who was the best upholsterer in the area, could fix anything, and who worked hard and consistently to provide for his family; Randall Glen “Junior” Roark, brother of Delores; Howard Roark, infant brother of Delores, who lived only three days in 1937; and Rondy Lynn Roark, nephew of Delores, who left this world at the age of five.  All are loved and missed.  It is hoped that the Roark Family Scholarship will support students who are committed to working hard and serving others in the same way that the Roark Family has done for generations.

THE KATHERINE COLLINS RODDY and J.P. RODDY, SR. ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2005 by The Katherine C. Roddy & J.P. Roddy Sr. Foundation. Scholarship preference will be given to worthy and deserving students who reside in East Tennessee.

THE SAMUEL P. AND NAN JEAN ROLLER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The endowed scholarship is established by Samuel P. and Nan Jean Roller who were members of the Class of 1949 at Tusculum College.  Samuel was born and raised in Fordtown, Tennessee.  Both Samuel and Nan Jean have resided in the State of Oregon for over 60 years.  Samuel was employed at the McKesson Corporation for over 40 years.  Nan Jean has been involved with the National Garden Clubs, Inc. organizations for over 50 years.  The purpose of The Samuel P. and Nan Jean Roller Endowed Scholarship Fund is to provide financial support for able and deserving students enrolled at Tusculum College.  Scholarship preference will be given to science majors with priority going to students who are from the State of Oregon.

THE DOROTHY CARTER SANDERS ’32 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1977 by Eunice Carter Sanders, class of 1939, of Kingsport, Tennessee, in memory of her sister, Dorothy Carter Sanders, class of 1932. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student who is studying music.

THE NANCY JEANNE SCHOEBEL ’74 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1994 by Henry R. Schoebel, class of 1947, and Jeanne Kiley Schoebel, of Glastonbury, Connecticut, in memory of their daughter, Nancy Jeanne Schoebel, class of 1974. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students studying art.

THE HANKINS McAMIS SENTELLE ’11 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by Dr. Robert H. Bailey, class of 1948, H’84 of Greeneville, Tennessee, and her family and friends, in memory of Mrs. Sentelle, class of 1911. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from upper East Tennessee who are academic achievers.

THE CECIL M. SHANKS ’22 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1988 by the Tusculum College class of 1938 on the occasion of their 50th reunion as a tribute to Professor Shanks, class of 1922, who was a longtime science teacher and Dean at Tusculum College. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are majoring in the sciences.

THE REVEREND DR. HUGH V. (H ’61) AND SOPHIE V. SIMON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 by their daughter and son-in-law, Celia F. Simon ’91 and Richard K. Evans in memory of Dr. Simon and in honor of Mrs. Simon. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are enrolled full-time at Tusculum College and pursuing a degree in education.

THE SIMPSON FAMILY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND – HALLIE SIMPSON-WADE was established in 2007 by the estate of Hallie Simpson-Wade. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need from East Tennessee who are academic achievers, good citizens, and volunteers in their community.

THE SIMPSON FAMILY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND – RUTH SIMPSON-PATTON was established in 2007 by the estate of Ruth Simpson-Patton. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need from East Tennessee who are academic achievers, good citizens, and volunteers in their community.

THE FRANKIE ELIZABETH SIMPSON ’32 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2005 through the estate of the late Frankie Elizabeth Simpson of Greeneville, Tennessee. She was a 1932 alumna of Tusculum College and after graduation began a 42-year teaching career. Scholarship preference will be given to math majors from Greeneville or Greene County.

THE HUBERT C. SMITH, JR. ’53 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2008 through the estate of Hubert C. Smith, Jr. ’53. Mr. Smith was a lifelong supporter of his Alma Mater, which he attended after serving in the U.S. Navy and suffering a serious injury that limited his mobility for the remainder of his life. However, that injury did not hinder him from having an active life and operating a successful farm. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students.

THE REVEREND LEWIS F. SMITH, SR. AND LEWIS F. SMITH, JR. (1895) ’25 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1992 by the family. The Reverend Smith, Sr. was a member of the Tusculum class of 1895, and Mr. Smith, Jr. was a member of the Tusculum class of 1925. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership, ability, and financial need.

THE CLYDE E. SPENCER ’46 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by Clyde Spencer’s wife, Elizabeth, and their children, in memory of Clyde Spencer, Tusculum class of 1946. Scholarship preference will be given to veterans and then to able and deserving students who are majoring in mathematics.

THE JOSEPH L. STALLARD ’56 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by Pat Hash Stallard to honor her husband, Joseph L. Stallard ’56, and in recognition of his lifelong interest in his Alma Mater.  Joseph L. Stallard, a native of Norton, Virginia, is a 1956 graduate of Tusculum College and a charter member of the College’s Sports Hall of Fame for his participation in basketball.  Joseph’s honors include: member of two Smoky Mountain Athletic Conference Championship teams during his freshman and senior years at the College, recipient of the Sports Benefactor Award and the Pioneer Award.  Joseph also served as President of the Alumni Executive Board.  The purpose of the Joseph L. Stallard ’56 Endowed Scholarship Fund is to provide financial support for able and deserving students enrolled at Tusculum College and participating in athletics with priority going to students who are basketball players.

THE BERTHA DOAK STEWARD MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1949 by the Women’s Missionary Society of the Mount Bethel Presbyterian Church. The Mount Bethel Church became the Covenant Presbyterian Church in 1959 and merged with the First Presbyterian Church of Greeneville in 1990. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from the local area.

THE STOKELY-VAN CAMP ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1959 by Stokely-Van Camp, Inc. of Indianapolis, Indiana. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Cocke, Greene, Hamblen, Jefferson, and Sevier counties.

THE WILLIAM E. STORY ’72 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1999 by Dr. William E. Story, class of 1972, of Winter Park, Florida, as part of his response to the Tusculum College 2000 Campaign. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to other science majors.

THE MARY THOMAS SULLIVAN ’39 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by William A. and Mary Thomas Sullivan of Poway, California. Mrs. Sullivan is a member of the class of 1939. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE ALBERT COLUMBUS TATE (1894) MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1986 by his daughter, the late Edna Tate Smith, of Tallahassee, Florida, as a memorial to her father. Mr. Tate was the valedictorian of the Tusculum class of 1894. Mrs. Smith, the fourth Benefactor of the College, served on the Board of Trustees. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE TRULL FOUNDATION ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1981 by The Trull Foundation of Palacios, Texas. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE W. GODFREY VANN ’18 MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1987 through the estate of W. Godfrey Vann, class of 1918, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greene County who have financial need.

THE DR. JENNETTE MURRAY VOLPE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND FOR NURSING was established by Dr. Angelo Volpe and his wife, Dr. Jennette Murray Volpe, as a means to provide opportunities for willing and able students who are majoring in nursing.  Dr. Jennette Murray Volpe is a native of Washington, D.C.  She attended public schools in D.C. and in Maryland.  She graduated from The George Washington University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion in 1964.  From 1964 to 1966 she worked at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory in Silver Spring, Maryland.  She married Dr. Angelo Volpe in 1965.  In 1966 she moved to New Jersey.  She attended Hackensack Hospital School of Nursing, graduating summa cum laude in 1969.  She was licensed in New York and New Jersey and worked in medical/surgical nursing at Mountainside Hospital in Montclair, New Jersey and at Dover General Hospital in Dover, N.J.  While working as a nurse she began graduate studies at Drew University in Madison, N.J. in Theological and Religious Studies in the sub-area of Psychology and Religion.  She received an M.A. degree in 1975 and the Ph.D. in 1984.  Her dissertation was titled Perspectives On Healing:  The Biomedical Paradigm and the Emerging Holistic Paradigm.  She served as an adjunct visiting lecturer at the East Carolina University School of Nursing.  In 1987, she moved to Cookeville, Tennessee and was the First Lady at Tennessee Technological University until her husband’s retirement in 2000.  Among her many activities in Cookeville, she was on the Board of Directors of Lazarus House Hospice when it was being formed as a non-profit hospice in the area.  She lectured new volunteers on the history and philosophy of hospice care.  She and her husband, who has served on the Board of Trustees at Tusculum College since 2005, reside in Cookeville, Tennessee.  The purpose of the Dr. Jennette Murray Volpe Endowed Scholarship Fund for Nursing is to provide financial support for students who are majoring in nursing at Tusculum College.

THE MARTIN WADEWITZ ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1983 by Dr. and Mrs. Peter Wadewitz, of Kingsport, Tennessee, in memory of his father who was a life trustee of the College. Dr. Peter Wadewitz is a member of the class of 1956, and Mrs. Wadewitz, the former Lois Hammer, is a member of the class of 1957. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability, and financial need.

THE WALLIN FAMILY MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Mr. John D. Greene in memory of Stephen Eldridge Wallin, Jessie Gray Wallin, class of 1915 and their daughter, Barbara Gray Wallin.  Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from a rural background with preference given to students from Greene County, Tennessee or Hancock County, Tennessee.

THE JERRY F. AND CAROLYN L. WARD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Dr. and Mrs. Jerry Ward in August 2008.  Dr. Ward served the College as Distinguished Service Professor of Education from 1994-2004.  Mrs. Ward, class of 1988, MAEd, served the College as an adjunct professor and then as Director of Student Teaching.  The purpose of the Jerry F. and Carolyn L. Ward Endowed Scholarship is to provide scholarships for able and deserving students majoring in elementary education and then to any able and deserving students majoring in education.

THE HENRI AND ELAINE WEEMS ’66 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND FOR NURSING was established by Mr. and Mrs. Henri Weems ’66, as a means to provide opportunities for willing and able students who are majoring in nursing.  The fund honors nurses of the Weems family:  Henrietta Weems, Mildred Weems, and Elaine Weems.  Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need in the field of Nursing.

THE WEEMS FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by Dr. Jerome John Weems, class of 1934, and supported by family members. The fund honors the Weems, Doyle, Rankin, Malone and Bailey families, and recognizes three Weems family members and their distinguished careers in medicine: brothers Jerome John Weems, class of 1934, and Philip Doyle Weems, class of 1929, and cousin Bliss King Weems, class of 1928. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving pre-medical students and then to other science majors.

THE JANET N. AND STANLEY R. WELTY, JR. ’51 H’05 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 by Janet N. and Stanley R. Welty, Jr. ’51 H’05 as a means to return appreciation to Tusculum College and to financially aid worthy students. The scholarship will be awarded in equal numbers and amounts to male and female students. Recipients must meet the following criteria: Be enrolled as a third- or fourth-year student at Tusculum College, have financial need, substantially improved their academic grade-point averages during their first two years, understand and have demonstrated participation in/for the Civic Arts, declared a major in Business Administration with a concentration in General Management, Management Accounting or Economics, or a major in any business programs Tusculum College offers a degree in the future.

THE VILENE LUCILLE WHITAKER ’41 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1993 by the estate of the late Vilene L. Whitaker, of Knoxville, Tennessee. A native of Greene County, Miss Whitaker was a Tusculum College graduate, class of 1941. Scholar-ship preference will be given to able and deserving students from East Tennessee.

THE BILLY R. WILLIAMS MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP was established by Becky Roberts and Mark Williams in February 2008, in memory of their Father, Billy R. Williams.  Gifts have been made to the scholarship by associates of Century 21, along with family and friends of Billy R. Williams.  Mr. Williams was an active Real-Estate Broker at Century 21 in the Greeneville and Greene County area.  He had a deep passion for Tusculum College and its students.  He was very dedicated to its mission and became actively involved in fundraising and was a loyal ambassador for the College.  The purpose of the Billy R. Williams Memorial Scholarship is to provide a scholarship for an able and deserving student who is an upcoming junior or senior business major.

THE SARAH VIRGINIA WILLIAMS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by the estate of Miss Sarah Virginia Williams of Johnson City, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving from East Tennessee and to teacher education students.

THE W. E. WILSON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1982 by alumni of Tusculum College in honor of Captain W. E. Wilson. Captain Wilson taught at Tusculum College from 1946 to 1962. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students majoring in the field of business.

THE KATHRYN COLEMAN WOOD ’77 ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1998 by Kathy Coleman Wood, class of 1977 of Knoxville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to female students majoring in business.

THE CLARA A. ZIRKLE BENEVOLENT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1955 by Dr. George P. Zirkle, of Kingston, Tennessee, as a tribute to his wife. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are preparing for the ministry or Christian service in the Presbyterian Church.

THE GEORGE P. ZIRKLE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1957 by Dr. George P. Zirkle, of Kingston, Tennessee. Scholarship preference is given to able and deserving students who are preparing for Christian service in the Presbyterian Church.

HOLSTON PRESBYTERY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIPS

Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the individual churches named in the endowment funds, to students from other Presbyterian churches within Holston Presbytery, and then to other qualified students.

HOLSTON PRESBYTERY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 through the Partners in Ministry Campaign among the 69 churches of Holston Presbytery, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) the home presbytery of Tusculum College. This endowed scholarship fund will give scholarship preference to able and deserving students from the churches of Holston Presbytery, then to other Presbyterian students, and finally to other able and deserving students. The scholarships are designed to provide financial support for young people and adults of the Presbyterian churches in the region who attend Tusculum College.

THE BETHEL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF KlNGSPORT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE COLD SPRING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF BRISTOL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE COLONIAL HEIGHTS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF KINGSPORT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF BRISTOL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF ELIZABETHTON ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF GREENEVILLE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF JEFFERSON CITY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF JOHNSON CITY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF KINGSPORT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF MORRISTOWN ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE ROGERSVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE WATAUGA AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF JOHNSON CITY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

THE WAVERLY ROAD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF KINGSPORT ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP FUND.

WORK-STUDY ENDOWMENTS

THE BUFORD AND LOUISE CARTER CHAMBERLAIN ’44 ’44 ENDOWED WORK-STUDY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2004 by Louise Carter Chamberlain, class of 1944, in memory of her husband, Buford Chamberlain, also class of 1944, to provide an annual work-study scholarship with preference given to able and deserving students from Greene County who have financial need. The work-study position will benefit the Tusculum College Library.

THE CLINT FOUNDATION ENDOWED WORK-STUDY SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2003 by the Clint Foundation. The Clint Foundation provides grants to students who are working while pursuing a college education. Earnings from the Clint Foundation Endowed Fund will be used to provide work-study opportunities for Tusculum College students. Funds for this grant are raised in part through sales of Kona Coffee from the Foundation’s farm in Kona, Hawaii, and Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris wines grown on its vineyard in the Willamette Valley, Oregon.

THE CHARLES A. FRUEAUFF FOUNDATION ENDOWED WORK-STUDY FUND was established in 1997 by the Charles A. Frueauff Foundation of Little Rock, Arkansas. Income from the Frueauff Fund will be used to provide work-study opportunities for Tusculum College students. The program also provides latitude to assist middle income families who do not qualify for federal financial aid assistance.

THE TUSCULUM COLLEGE INSTITUTE

THE TUSCULUM INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC LEADERSHIP AND POLICY ENDOWED FUND was established in 1998 by an anonymous donor to support the Institute and the students involved in the Institute’s programs.

OTHER ENDOWMENTS

THE DUFFIELD AWARD was endowed in 1991 by Norman J. and Joy Dauerty Seher, of Greeneville, Tennessee, formerly of Clearwater, Florida, in memory of his mother, the late Elva Murphy Duffield, of Clearwater. Mrs. Seher is a member of the Tusculum College class of 1943. The Duffield Award is presented annually to the male and female varsity student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible for the award.

THE THOMAS B. TAYLOR ’76 ENDOWED WELLNESS PROGRAM was established in 1994 by the late Britton M. Taylor, class of 1930, of Wilmington, Delaware, in memory of his son, Thomas B. Taylor, class of 1976. Income from the endowment will assist the College in further developing a wellness education program that discourages smoking, alcohol, and drug use and promotes appropriate wellness decisions through an interactive curriculum. The endowment also funds the Thomas B. Taylor Wellness Award that recognizes annually the student who best demonstrates an orientation to appropriate wellness decisions and gives to the College community leadership in helping its members make quality lifestyle choices.

ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIPS

Annual scholarship funds are maintained with minimum yearly gifts of $1,000. The continuation of a scholarship fund is dependent upon the annual gift.

THE WILLIAM D. ALEXANDER ’55 MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOARSHIP FUND was established in 2007 by wife Dorothy Alexander. Scholarship preference is given to able and deserving students from Greeneville or Greene County.

THE ALLTRISTA ZINC PRODUCTS ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND (now Jarden Zinc Products) was established by Alltrista Zinc Products, of Greeneville, Tennessee. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from the local area.

THE ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE CLUB ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1996 by the Davy Crockett Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Scholarship preference is given to able and deserving student from Greene County, Tennessee.

THE GORDON J. CHALMERS MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2001 by friends and family of Gordon J. Chalmers, long-time trustee and supporter of Tusculum College. Scholarships are awarded to able and deserving students.

THE CLINT FOUNDATION WORK-STUDY SCHOLARSHIP was established in 1998 as a fund-raising challenge to Tusculum College. The College annually raises funds that are matched by the foundation which allow students work-study opportunities.

THE GLENN COX MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP was established by the Kiwanis Club of Greeneville, Tennessee. Tusculum College selects a Greene County resident for this annual award.

THE JOHN C. ECHOLS MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1969 by Mr. and Mrs. Percy P. Echols of Lynchburg, Virginia, in memory of their son. Preference will be given to able and deserving students on the basis of academic achievement, leadership ability and financial need.

THE JAMES K. EDENS II ’61 MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2004 by Jeannie P. Edens in memory of her husband, James K. Edens II, class of 1961, who worked to support his family while earning his degree. Scholarship preference will be given to students having financial need, with a priority going to those who are also married and working. Recipients must maintain a minimum 2.5 grade-point average.

THE LLEWELYN M. FOX ’16 MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1965 by the late Mrs. Mary Gertrude Fox, of Greeneville, in memory of her husband, Llewelyn M. Fox, class of 1916 and charter member of the Tusculum College Sports Hall of Fame. Scholarship preference will be given to an able and deserving student from Greeneville or Greene County who demonstrates leadership, scholarship, citizenship, and sportsmanship.

THE GENCORP FOUNDATION ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 through a grant from the GenCorp Foundation. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving upperclassmen who are majoring in mathematics or science.

THE MARY GERTRUDE FOX MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1997 by the Board of Managers of the Mary G. K. Fox Foundation to honor the memory of Mrs. Fox. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from Greeneville and Greene County who demonstrate leadership, scholarship, citizenship, and sportsmanship.

THE GREENE COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCE ASSOCIATION ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in May 2005 by members of the Greene County Human Resource Association. Two scholarships will be given annually to juniors or seniors from Greeneville or Greene County majoring in business.

THE MELINDA RUTH CANSLER GREENE ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP was established by Annie and Jimmy Cansler in loving memory of Jimmy’s daughter Melinda, and as a means to provide support for students with financial need who are enrolled in the Nursing program at Tusculum College.  Melinda was a graduate of Washington College Academy, a school that, like Tusculum College was founded by Samuel Doak.  She attended the University of Tennessee.  She was a member of Mount Carmel United Methodist Church and was involved in Ladies Aide, the Girl Scouts, and Gifts for Kids.  She generously gave of herself to improve the lives of others, and is remembered as a loving and devoted wife and mother.  Her daughters, Monica Paige and Brittany Danielle, are her greatest legacy.  Annie and Jimmy Cansler, in establishing this annual scholarship, seek to continue Melinda’s giving spirit by assisting deserving students pursuing a nursing degree at Tusculum College.

THE ANTHONY W. HEBERTON ’66 ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 by Anthony W. Heberton, a graduate of the Tusculum College Class of 1966. Scholarship preference is given to able and deserving students who are economically disadvantaged.

THE DAVID A. HENDRICKSEN ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2002-2003 by Mr. William Foland in honor of Dr. David A. Hendricksen, music professor at Tusculum College and director of the Tusculum College Community Chorus. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students who are members of the Community Chorus and then to any able and deserving student with financial need from Greeneville or the Greene County area.

THE LANDAIR ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in May 2005 by Scott M. Niswonger, class of 1987, Chairman and CEO of Landair, a well-known and highly respected philanthropist and Trustee of Tusculum College, to support the educational needs of employees of Landair, Inc., Greeneville, Tennessee. Preference for the Landair Annual Scholarship Fund will be given to employees enrolled in Tusculum College’s undergraduate and graduate programs.

THE DR. W.D. MCGAVOCK MEMORIAL ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 in memory of Dr. W.D. McGavock, professor emeritus at Tusculum College with an initial gift from Candace L. Bellamy, M.D. ’91. Additional gifts are encouraged. Recipients of the Dr. W.D. McGavock Memorial Annual Scholarship must meet the following criteria: Nomination from Tusculum College faculty member, science major with a career interest in medicine or research, successful completion of the freshman year, including general biology and chemistry courses, and a minimum of a 3.0 grade-point average.

THE NATIVE AMERICAN ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 1985 by a friend who wishes to remain anonymous. Preference will be given to able and deserving students who are Native Americans.

THE CHARLOTTE W. NEWCOMBE ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by the Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation, of Princeton, New Jersey, in memory of Mrs. Charlotte Wilson Newcombe. Scholarship preference will be given to economically disadvantaged and/or minority students.

THE MARY HELEN PAXTON ’48 ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2006 by Glen and Jackie Paxton Rose ’75 in honor of Mary Helen Paxton, class of 1948. First preference will be given to student athlete (s) from the Greeneville or Greene County region who are members of the Tusculum College football team, men’s basketball team, or women’s basketball team. Second preference will be given to other student-athletes who are members of the Tusculum College football team, men’s basketball team, or women’s basketball team, outside of Greeneville and Greene County, yet reside in the East Tennessee region.

THE PIONEER CLUB ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIPS are awarded annual to Tusculum College athletes. Funds for these scholarships are raised annually in support of the College’s athletic programs.

THE MARIAN GRAY SHELTON ’45 ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2008 by Marian Gray Shelton, a member of the class of 1945. The scholarship is the outcome of a 2006 endeavor by the Christian Education Committee of Fairview Cumberland Presbyterian Church to set up an annual scholarship fund at Tusculum College in Marian Shelton’s honor. A significant number of gifts were made to the scholarship fund by members of Fairview Cumberland Presbyterian Church along with family and friends of Marian Shelton. Scholarship preference will be given primarily to students who are members of Fairview Cumberland Presbyterian Church, secondly to non-athlete students who are members of Mount Zion United Methodist Church who have financial need, and thirdly to non-athlete students who are members of Cumberland Presbyterian Churches located in rural Greene County (Bethesda, Cedar Hill, Fairview, Mt. Pleasant, Mohawk, New Bethel, Pleasant Hill, Pleasant Vale, and Shiloh) who have financial need.

THE TICUA-GENERAL SHALE BRICK ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP was established by General Shale Brick. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need who have demonstrated leadership skills and community service involvement.

THE TICUA-HOME FEDERAL BANK ANNUAL SCHOARSHIP was established by Home Federal Bank. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students with financial need who have demonstrated leadership skills and community service involvement.

THE TICUA-PILOT CORPORATION ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP was established by the Pilot Corporation. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from First Presbyterian Church of Kingsport, then to other Presbyterian students within the Holston Presbytery, and finally to other able and deserving students.

THE TICUA-UPS ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP was established by UPS corporation. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving students from First Presbyterian Church of Kingsport, then to other Presbyterian students within the Holston Presbytery, and finally to other able and deserving students.

THE TUSCULUM COLLEGE BOOKSTORE ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established in 2003 by the Tusculum College Bookstore. Scholarship preference will be given to work-study students who are employed by the Tusculum College Bookstore and pursuing full-time undergraduate study. Scholarships will be awarded based on work-study job attendance, job performance, academic GPA and financial need.

THE U.S.S. GREENEVILLE ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by the Board of Trustees of Tusculum College in 1996 in recognition of the commissioning on February 16, 1996, in Norfolk, Virginia of the U.S.S. Greeneville, named for the City of Greeneville, Tennessee. One tuition scholarship will be available to a crew member or a dependent of a crew member annually for the 25-year life of the ship.

THE LETTIE PATE WHITEHEAD FOUNDATION ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND was established by the Lettie Pate Whitehead Foundation of Atlanta, Georgia. Scholarship preference will be given to able and deserving Christian women who have financial need and who are residents of one of the following states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.